TransShield Mode 1/2 www.actionair.co.uk firstname.lastname@example.org Transfer Stainless Steel Sliding Plate Fire Dampers
TransShield Modes 1 & 2 Introduction The TransShield Modes 1 and 2 stainless steels stainless steel sliding plate dampers are designed for air transfer applications through fire rated doors and dry wall partitions, providing up to 2 hour fire protection. The Range Flanged 18 gauge stainless steel Sliding Seal and Static Damper Plates with horizontal perforations which provide, whilst the Seal Plate is in the open position, a free area of not less than that of the specially designed Grilles, for the passage and transfer of ventilation air in either direction. The Damper Sliding Plate is retained to the Damper Static Plate with stainless steel shouldered rivets and fails-safe to the instant closed position, powered by two stainless steel tension springs, with the melting and parting at a temperature of 72 °C of an all brass Fusible Link attached to Sliding Seal Plate, to form a fire resistant shield from either air flow direction. The Fusible Link functions independently and regardless of choice or status of Release and Reset Mechanism. Slimline Casing Both Damper Plates together with a choice of two interchangeable and replaceable Release and Reset Mechanisms with both being self contained in a removable Cassette, are housed within an 18 gauge stainless steel Slimline Damper Casing which has integral flanges with prepunched fixing and alignment holes for ease of installation. The TransShield Damper complete with 18 gauge stainless steel flanged backing sleeve and matching Transfer Grilles can be readily accommodated in half-hour fire rated 44mm thick and 1 hour fire rated 54mm thick doors as well as fire rated dry wall/partitions. Control Options A choice of two interchangeable and replaceable Release and Reset Mechanisms is available with either a Manual Release (Mode 1) or a Manual and 24 Volt DC Electro Magnet Release (Mode 2) being self contained in a compact Cassette with simple screw attachment direct to the Damper. For easy withdrawal without disturbance other than the removal of the relevant Transfer Grille. Removal of the Release and Reset Mechanism Cassette provides the further fail-safe feature of Damper instant closure which cannot be reversed until the proper replacement is made. Control Mode 1 A fusible link actuates the instant closure of the damper due to an abnormal rise in temperature. Control Mode 2 The 24 Volt DC Electro Magnet is normally energised to hold open the TransShield Damper, which will instantly close when the electrical supply is interrupted, either as a function of a smoke detection system or due to failure of the electrical supply and in both events, prior to the operation of the Fusible Link on temperature rise or a full fire condition. It is recommended that the continuous electrical supply (83mA Load) to the 24 Volt DC Electro Magnet is through a battery circuit and not an automatic change-over system. External Manual Release, Resetting and Testing Facilities The Cassette also contains, recessed but readily accessible externally operated Release and a Resetting facility through the Transfer Grille. The Release Lever when manually depressed overrides all other functions to close the TransShield Damper for periodic operational testing. The Resetting Shaft when manually turned in a partial anti-clockwise direction automatically resets the TransShield Damper in the open position assuming all other functions are intact. External Visual Indication of Damper Status The TransShield Damper on closing, automatically disengages a spring loaded Damper Set and Status Pin, which is encapsulated with a distinct red plastic capping, providing visual indication of Damper status. Matched Transfer Grilles A pair of specially designed matching non vision Transfer Grilles with radius edges and countersunk fixing holes are always supplied with each TransShield Damper for fitting to both sides of door or dry wall/partition. The Transfer Grilles are constructed in 18 gauge galvanised mild steel finished in Polyester Powder coat to RAL 8025 gloss brown, as standard. As an optional additional cost, the grilles can be finished in either BS or RAL standard colours. 2 www.actionair.co.uk P F F T P
TransShield Modes 1 & 2 Installation Procedure
- Make the the structural opening to the actual dimensions of the Cutting Hole Size of the selected Damper.
- Locate the Flanged Backing Sleeve with the 8mm flange height at the top into whichever side is deemed to be the rear of the structural opening and when uniformly spaced therein use as template to mark position of all flanged 4mm diameter screw holes.
- The Flanged Backing Sleeve can then be removed and all pilot holes drilled accordingly.
- Relocate the Flanged backing Sleeve at the same time providing an application of the fire resistant sealant between the back of the flange and the structural opening periphery, before screw fixing with the slotted head screws provided to the structure face using all the countersunk flange holes only, as the remaining four side plain holes are for alignment with and fixing through to the structure, of the rear Transfer Grille complete with non vision baffle. THE 4 PLAIN HOLES ARE FOR TRANSFER GRILLE ALIGNMENT AND FIXING COUNTERSUNK HOLES ARE FOR FIXING TO STRUCTURAL FACE AND THE NUMBER VARY DEPENDENT ON DAMPER SIZE TOP FRONT ELEVATION PLAN VIEW FIXED TO REAR OF STRUCTURAL OPENING Flanged backing Sleeve FIRE RESISTANCE SEALANT BETWEEN BACK OF FLANGE AND STRUCTURAL OPENING PERIPHERY
- The Damper Assembly can then be removed and all pilot holes drilled accordingly.
- Relocate the Damper Assembly and if the Damper is fitted with Mode 2, ensure that the electrical power supply is isolated and the wiring is then continued through the appropriate side hole of the Damper Assembly before applying the necessary fire resistant and screw fixing with the slotted head screws provided to the structure face in the same manner as described for the Flanged Backing Sleeve in (4) above. THE 4 PLAIN HOLES ARE FOR TRANSFER GRILLE ALIGNMENT AND FIXING COUNTERSUNK HOLES ARE FOR FIXING TO STRUCTURAL FACE AND THE NUMBER VARY DEPENDENT ON DAMPER SIZE TOP FRONT ELEVATION PLAN VIEW FIXED TO FRONT OF STRUCTURAL OPENING ALTERNATIVE ELECTRICAL SUPPLY ENTRY POINTS FOR DAMPERS FITTED WITH MODE 2 Damper Assembly
- Once satisfied with the operational testing of the damper, complete the installation by aligning the side countersunk holes to the rear and front transfer Grilles with the corresponding side holes in the two non vision baffles (should they have separated from the Grille) and the remaining side flange holes of the Flanged backing Sleeve and the Damper Assembly respectively. Screw fix with the pozi-driv screws provided, to either side of the structural opening, ensuring that the 45mm flange height on the rear Transfer Grille is at the top and that the three holes in the centre of the 45mm flange height of top of the front Transfer Grille are in line with and provide access to the functional aspects of the Damper Cassette FRONT GRILLE REAR FRONT REAR GRILLE SIDE ELEVATION IN STRUCTURAL OPENING Transfer Grilles FIRE RESISTANCE SEALANT BETWEEN BACK OF FLANGE AND STRUCTURAL OPENING PERIPHERY
- Locate the Damper Assembly with the Cassette at the top into the opposite front side of the structural opening and inside the Flanged backing Sleeve and when uniformly spaced therein use as template to mark position of all flanged 4mm diameter screw holes, and note that the two holes in line with the Cassette at each end of both sides of the Damper Assembly are alternative electrical supply entry points for Dampers fitted with Mode 2.
- If the Damper is fitted with Mode 2 connect the electrical supply wiring to the Cassette terminal block.
- Set the damper in the open position by engaging 4mm hexagon allen key in the Cassette Resetting Shaft and turning same in a partial anti-clockwise direction when the Damper should remain in the open position, unless, in the case of Mode 2 operation there is no electrical power supply to the 24 VOLT DC Electro Magnet, in which event the Damper will immediately fail-safe closed.
- Release the Damper to the closed position by also using 4mm hexagon allen key to manually depress the Cassette release Lever and closing the Damper disengages within the Cassette a spring load Damper Set & Status Pin, the end of which is encapsulated with a distinctive red coloured plastic capping and with an outward movement to a completely exposed position on the Cassette front face provides visual indication of Damper status. Cassette Interchangeability or Replacement
- Un-screw the four pozi-driv fixing screws of the front Transfer Grille and remove same together with the non vision baffle to expose the Cassette.
- If the Damper is fitted with Mode 2 isolate the electrical power supply before disconnecting the wiring from the Cassette terminal block.
- The Cassette has simple two screw attachment direct to the Damper Static Plate within the Damper Assembly and unscrewing the two slotted head screws enables the Cassette to be withdrawn outward from the Damper Assembly.
- Cassette interchangeability or replacement is achieved through reversing all the foregoing procedure www.actionair.co.uk 3
TransShield Modes 1 & 2 Control Mode 2 Electrical Wiring with optional microswitch ORANGE RED 15mm CABLE BLACK 15mm CABLE YELLOW 15mm CABLE MICROSWITCH OPTIONAL EXTRA 24 VOLT DC ELECTROMAGNET ALL EXTERNA L WIRING BY OTHERS BROWN BLACK RED YELLOW Microswitch positioning (by others) Dimensional Data
- Dampers are suitable for vertical application only, with the passage and transfer of ventilation air in either direction.
- Dampers are supplied with the Sliding Seal Plate in the closemicroswitch is fitted prevent damage in transit and the ingress of building dust and dirt on site and during installation; and it is recommended that the Sliding Seal Plate should remain closed until the actual date of commissioning.
- Flanged Backing Sleeves have a sleeve depth of 38mm, a top flange height of 8mm, sides and bottom flange heights of 20mm, and are supplied 5mm, under the cutting hole size.
- Damper Assemblies have a sleeve depth of 40mm, a top flange height of 8mm, sides and bottom flange heights of 20mm, and are supplied 5mm, under the Flanged Backing Sleeve size for always fitting within the Sleeve. RESET STATUS RELEASE
- The Cassette regardless of choice of Mode is 140mm wide x 35mm high x 26mm deep. Size 160 x160
- Transfer Grilles have a top flange height of 45mm, with sides and bottom flange heights of 25mm.
- To order specify TransShield Cutting Hole Size and Mode Number. Size 310 x 160 RESET STATUS RELEASE
- TransShield Dampers are an Actionair Quality Engineered Life Safety product and should always be fitted and operated in accordance with instructions provided. RESET STATUS RELEASE Size 310 x 300 RESET STATUS RELEASE RESET STATUS RELEASE Size 450 x 300 Size 450 x 430 Cutting Grille Hole Size O/A Size W x H W x H Effective Free Area m2 Damper (Including Grilles) Approx Weight Kg Grilles Only (Per Pair) Approx Weight Kg 160 x 160 195 x 190 310 x 160 345 x 190 310 x 300 345 x 330 450 x 300 485 x 330 450 x 430 485 x 460 0.007 0.014 0.028 0.042 0.063 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0 11.0 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0 6.0 4 www.actionair.co.uk STATUS RELEASE
TransShield Modes 1 & 2 Non Door Applications Suggested builder’s work detail for fitting TransShield Damper in blockwork wall 40 MIN C A B PLAN 40 MIN DRILL HOLE FOR CABLE WHEN FITTING TRANS/SHIELD MODE 2 DAMPER HARDWOOD STRIPS FIXED INTO WALL OPENING TRANS/SHIELD GRILLE MUST OVERLAP APERTURE-HARDWOOD STRIPS TO MAINTAIN FIRE BARRIER INTEGRITY Nominal Size A B C 160 x 160 190 160 160 310 x 160 340 310 160 310 x 300 340 310 300 450 x 300 480 450 300 450 x 430 480 450 430 All dimensions are in millimetres. Standard units are suitable for wall thickness 44mm to 75mm. TransShield Mode 1 and 2 Damper SIDE ELEVATION 14 40 “X” 40 32 8mm Dia. HOLE FOR MODE 2 CABLE ENTRY GRILLE MODE 1 OR MODE 2 CASSETTE GRILLE FLANGED DAMPER SLEEVE FLANGED DAMPER SLEEVE (INCLUDING DAMPER) SPECIAL EXTENDED WALL SLEEVE OF 18 GAUGE STAINLESS STEEL FACTORY FITTED TO STANDARD TRANS/SHIELD FLANGED DAMPER SLEEVE 8 20 8 20 TransShield Mode 1 and 2 Damper complete with Extended Wall Sleeve Wall sleeves are required for greater wall With this sleeve arrangement, Dimension depths. “X” can vary according to wall thickness, from 82mm up to a maximum of 300mm. Please advise Dimension “X”. www.actionair.co.uk 5
30 TransShield Modes 1 & 2 Acoustic Data The data presented is from the Laboratory Determination of Acoustic and Aerodynamic Performance of TransShield Stainless Steel Sliding Plate Fire and Smoke Dampers complete with matching non vision Transfer Grilles. A programme of extensive tests was carried out in the Reverberation Room of Sound Research Laboratories Limited, Holbrook Hall, Sudbury, Suffolk, generally in accordance with BRITISH STANDARDS Example: With an air transfer air volume requirement of 60 I/s and selecting Size 310 x 300 TransShield Damper and Grilles. Pressure Drop = 14 Pa. Multiply Volume X Pressure Drop 60 x 14 = 840. From the Graph Sound Power Level dBW = 43 less Spectrum Corrections. From the Pressure Drop Vs Velocity Graph the selected Size 310 x 300 TransShield Damper and Grilles at a Pressure Drop Vs Velocity 100 90 80 70 60 50 40 30 SIZE 450 x 430 SIZE 450 x 300 SIZE 310 x 300 SIZE 310 x 160 SIZE 160 x 160 Nos. 2750, 4196, ISO. 140 and 3741 pressure drop of 14 Pa produces a 20 Part 1. This independent test facility is velocity of 2.1 m/s. approved under the NAMAS Scheme. Selection and Acoustic Performance With a known air volume select a suitable size of TransShield Damper and a resultant pressure drop can be PRESSURE DROP Pa 10 9 8 7 6 SIZE 160 x 160 SIZE 310 x 160 SIZE 310 x 300 SIZE 450 x 300 SIZE 450 x 430 SOUND POWER LEVEL (dBW) determined and the sum of these two 5 components applied to the Volume X Pressure Drop Vs Sound Power Level 4 Graph. 3 This graph is the result of a full range of acoustic tests on the TransShield Damper 2 complete with matching Transfer Grilles. The Spectrum Correction Data is applied to the number obtained from the graph and a full Sound Spectrum of Flow Generated Noise (outlet) is obtained. 1 1 2 3 4 5 6 VELOCITY m/s Air Volume Vs Pressure Drop Air Volume (l/s) x Pressure Drop (Pa) Vs Sound Power Level (dBW) 100 70 90 80 70 60 50 60 40 PRESSURE DROP Pa 20 10 50 9 8 7 6 5 40 30 4 3 2 20 1 10 102030405060708090 100 200 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 200 300 400 500 600 700 800 900 1000 2000 3000 4000 5000 6000 7000 8000 9000 10000 AIR VOLUME I/s AIR VOLUME X PRESSURE DROP (I/s Pa) Outlet (in duct) Spectrum Correction Octave band 63 125 250 500 1K 2K 4K OPEN 11 3 7 8 12 15 21 8K 28 Hz dB 6 www.actionair.co.uk
TransShield Modes 1 & 2 Specification The design of the TransShield Dampers shall comprise of flanged 18 gauge stainless steel Sliding Seal and Static Damper Plates with horizontal perforations to provide whilst the Seal Plate is in the open position, a free area of not less than that of the matching Transfer Grilles, for the passage and transfer of ventilation air in either direction. The Damper Sliding Seal Plate shall be retained to the Static Damper Plate with stainless steel shouldered rivets and failsafe to the instant closed position powered by two stainless steel tension springs either by the melting and parting of an attached Fusible Link at a temperature of 72 °C, or the functioning of the relevant Release and Reset Mechanism to maintain integrity and not permit the passage of flame when exposed to the time/temperature curve of BS476 Part: 20 1987 for a period of two hours as tested by the Fire Insurers’ Research & Testing Organisation (Approval TE 6523). Both Damper Plates together with a removable Release and Reset Mechanism Cassette shall be housed within an 18 gauge stainless steel slimline Damper Casing having integral flanges with prepunched fixing holes. Ordering Information The Cassette shall have screw fixing for ease of attachment to and withdrawal from the Damper Static Plate without disturbance to the Damper and shall contain recessed from view but readily accessible, a Release Lever and Resetting Shaft, both manually operated, and a spring loaded Damper Set and Status Pin which in the exposed position shall provide visual indication of Damper status. The Cassette shall also contain either of two interchangeable and replaceable Release and Reset Mechanisms. Mode 1 Manual Release Fusible Link shall actuate the instant closure of the Damper due to an abnormal rise in temperature. Mode 2 Manual and Electro Magnet Release A 24 Volt DC Electro Magnet shall actuate the instant closure of the Damper when the electrical supply is interrupted, either as a function of a Smoke Detector System or due to failure of the electrical supply and in both events, before the operation of the Fusible Link due to an abnormal rise in temperature or a full fire condition occurs. Each TransShield Damper shall be complete with 18 gauge stainless steel flanged backing sleeve and a pair of specially designed matching non vision Transfer Grilles with radius edges, countersunk fixing holes and constructed in 18 gauge galvanised mild steel finished in Polyester Powder coat to RAL 8025 gloss brown. The TransShield Dampers and Transfer Grilles suitable for mounting in the vertical plane only, shall be manufactured by Actionair. Customer Service Actionair provides quality products backed by a dedicated team committed to providing the very best in customer service. Offering experienced technical backup, comprehensive sales and administrative customer support, product commissioning and maintenance service. Approvals Product Conformity awarded by The Loss Prevention Certification Board Limited. Fire tested (2 hour rating) Fire Insurers Research and Testing Organisation. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice due to continuing research and development. Example Quantity Series Control Mode Cutting Hole Size Accessories 7 Trans/Shield M2 310 x 300 Extended Sleeve ‘x’ = ? Number of units Trans/Shield. Mode 1 Sizes Customer to provide required Fail-Safe Fusible Link. (W) x (H) mm dimension x, please refer to 160 x 160 page 5. Mode 2 310 x 160 24 Volt DC Electro Magnet 310 x 300 and Fail-Safe Fusible Link. 450 x 300 450 x 430 Special Grille Finish 1. Special paint finishes – specify BS or RAL number and gloss or matt finish (extra cost). (Options) 2. Unpainted galvanised steel grilles. Volt Free Contact for Volt Free Contact for open or closed status indication. Status Indication (Single Pole Micro Switch) Connection strip on left hand side (when viewing grille front elevation). For further application, technical and pricing information, please refer to Actionair Sales Office. www.actionair.co.uk 7 Metal Louvre South Street, Whitstable, Kent, CT5 3DU Tel: +44 (0)1227 276100 Email: email@example.com Website: actionair.co.uk The statements made in this brochure or by our representatives in consequence of any enquires arising out of this document are given for information purposes only. They are not intended to have any legal effect and the company is not to be regarded as bound thereby. The company will only accept obligations, which are expressly negotiated for and agreed and incorporated into a written agreement made with its customers. Due to policy of continuous product development the specification and details contained herein are subject to alteration without prior notice. actionair | air diffusion | airfiltrera | airolution | naco LNNN00115(1.0)